1. When being Passed/Overtaken by another vehicle
The driver should not speed up or do anything to prevent the other vehicle from passing.
Drivers should slow down when approaching road corners, intersections, junctions or pedestrian crossings and not enter until sure that such an entry will not endanger the safety of pedestrians or people in other vehicles there.
3. Right of Way
When entering an intersection that is not regulated by a traffic signal or by a traffic policeman and which is an entry onto a main road, the driver of the vehicle is to give right of way to the vehicles already proceeding on that road. In all other cases the driver is to give way to traffic approaching from his right-hand side and only then proceed.
4. Emergency Vehicles
Fire Service Vehicles and Ambulances are to be allowed free passage and drivers of all other vehicles should move their vehicles to the side of the road to do so.
5. Documents to be carried/produced on demand
The person driving the vehicle is to always carry the following documents:
- Driving License
- Certificate of registration of the vehicle
- Certificate of taxation
- Certificate of insurance
- For transport vehicles, the following additional documents are required
- The permit
- Fitness certificate
- These documents are to be produced on demand by any Police officer in Uniform, Officers of the Motor Vehicles Department in Uniform or by any officer authorized by the Government. If the driver does not have the documents in his/her possession he should produce attested copies in person or through registered post to the officer who demanded it within 15 days.
Drivers should not
- Sound the horn more than necessary for safety. Continuously and unnecessary sounding of the horn is illegal.
- Sound the horn In designated silent zones ( for e.g. such as hospital zones )
- Use multi-toned horns that are harsh, shrill, loud or alarming
- Use cutouts for the exhausts
- Drive vehicles that create a lot of noise when in motion
- Drive vehicles without proper mufflers causing a loud sound.
Image Source – Google Image